9.13.2007

Save it for a Snowy Day

(Please excuse the crappy camera- that's pesto, not boogers.)

Today was the kind of day that makes you want to cut out of work (or school as the case may be) early to go sit in the park, eat an apple from the farmers' market, and watch the fluffy clouds roll by. Yes, folks, fall has arrived in New York City, although I like to call it "late summer" so as to not be depressing. The start of fall always brings up mixed emotions for me: more than January, September signals new beginnings- the chance to reorganize, the return to the ordinary in new snappy back-to-life clothes; however, donning those back-to-life clothes necessitates shoes (boo!). I was thinking this week about ways to prolong the summer a bit, especially since this summer has been arguably the best of my life, and then, just as I was thinking this, I walked by the farmers' market (although on this day, it was a farmer's market) at the corner of 10th street and 1st avenue. There, calling to me, was a mound of these gorgeous bundles of basil for pennies a piece.
To me, there are maybe 10 smells that evoke summer and basil is one of them. Luckily, the traditional basil pesto is something that keeps fairly well in the freezer, and is easy to make. Therefore, when I'm pining for summer in March (who are we kidding- I'll be pining for summer by October), I can defrost some pesto to cheer me up. Pesto is easy by default- you just take greens, nuts, cheese, garlic, and oil, and blend- a picture follows in case that was too complicated for you.
Here, I used (these are estimates- for things like this, I am anti-recipe) 2 large bunches of basil, 2 heads of garlic, 2c. pine nuts, 2c. grated peccorino cheese, and 1c. olive oil. Remember, things taste better if they are organic and/or grown locally!
Do your prep-work...
Next, blend your basil, pine nuts, olive oil and garlic (this was extra fun, thanks to the great hand-held blender that we got for our wedding- thanks Kim and Peter!). Then, scoop your pesto into small, freezeable containers (so you don't have to defrost giant tubs of pesto- remember, this has to last you until May or June!), and pop them into the back of your freezer (the temperature is more stable there, which prevents your pesto from defrosting and refreezing).
I saved a small bowl in the fridge for dipping veggies. You can also experiment with your pesto- in the early spring, I like to put peas in it; right now, you can make a squash blossom and goat cheese pesto (or better yet, stuff those squash blossoms with your fresh pesto and some ricotta cheese and then fry them). Also, regardless of what you've heard, you don't always have to put pesto on pasta- it goes splendidly with veggies and tofu, or for eating with a slice of bread. Jordy likes to eat his with a spoon. I'm not kidding. I take it as a compliment.
I hope that you all run out in the next few weeks (or sooner if you can- before you know it the markets will be all squash and potatoes!) to get some basil, and make yourself some pesto to brighten up your dinners (or lunches, or omlets) when it's yucky outside. Next up, figuring out a way to can/freeze peaches...
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Emily said...

we use 50mL conical vials from the lab to store our pesto. Then we defrost them in warm water for fresh "pesto cartridges"

-Drew and Em

miya said...

Practical AND geeky! I love it!

elizabeth said...

My mom always froze hers in ice cube trays and then dumped the cubes in a ziploc bag. Great way to measure it out in small portions.